Friday, June 26, 2009

Valliant day at camp

Well Rachel went to girls camp for Valiant day yesterday. I guess this is one of the few stakes that does this. The 11 year old girls get to go to girls camp for 1 day. They go up in the morning and come home after campfire. They are paired with a 4th year girl who acts as a big sister and spends the day with them experiencing all camp is.
I was worried about Rachel going. I was worried how the other girls would treat her with her being handicapped and all. I was worried about her having one of her autistic meltdowns and how the other girls would handle it. I was worried about her doing things that are not safe for her to do. Well I should have just never worried, but again that is easier said than done.
Rachel came home last night with a huge smile. She had so much fun. She has been dying to try archery for years and we didn't think she would be able to do it. Well the range master was great with her and helped her to do so. She got to go canoeing, and sing songs, participate in a skit, have a spiritual message that meant a lot to her. She saw old friends and made new ones. She is looking forward to being 12 more than ever now. She can't wait to be in Young Womens and be silly with them all.
We have amazing young women and Young Women's leaders in this stake, our ward leaders especially. They make the whole Young Womens experience a great one. Alice sent home a letter with Rachel for me, well and for her dad too. Anyway in it she talked about how some of the girls don't show enough respect for their leaders and that she is glad that we have taught her to respect her leaders no matter what. It is funny to me that she would say that because when I have talked to her about this issue she would roll her eyes and act like I was annoying the heck out of her. So I am glad she sees the value in it now.

2 comments:

Christy said...

I'm so glad Rachel had such a great time! What a wonderful experience!

Jennifer said...

So glad that Rachel had fun!! It's hard, as a mommy, not to worry about your baby! What a fantastic experience for any little girl!

~ Jennifer
http://thetoyboxyears.blogspot.com/